What's Cooking

Saturday, February 8, 2014

February Week 1 Chinese Food - Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry

Hello there! My name is Melissa and I’m a wannabe Foodie.

For the first week’s challenge, I struggled trying to find something I wanted to make that I already had most of the ingredients on hand. I stumbled across this Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry recipe and thought “why not, it doesn't look so bad.” 
I read the reviews and confirmed my decision mentally.

This dish was delicious! It’s colorful and full of flavor even with the ingredients being quite simple. 
It was missing something though, I just can’t put my thumb on it. 
My husband said it was perfect and he wouldn't change anything about it, all while he was coming back for seconds.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I’d easily give this a 3.5 to 4. 


You can find the original recipe here: Black Pepper Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Ready: In less than 30 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 cloves chopped garlic
  • ½ pound ground beef
  • ½ small head cabbage, shredded
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper


Directions:
Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and add oil. Sauté garlic for about 5 seconds, then add ground beef. Stir-fry until beef is evenly brown. Stir in cabbage and red pepper, and cool until vegetables are tender, and beef is fully cooked. Stir in soy sauce. Mix together cornstarch and water, and stir in. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened. Serve with steamed rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment