What's Cooking

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Black Bean Chili with Chocolate and Coconut

February Week 2 - Incorporate Chocolate Into A Meal!
Ferren here again! Moving onto this interesting challenge of incorporating chocolate into a meal. At first I was thinking of taking the easy way out and making waffles or pancakes for dinner but after googling some recipes I decided to give one a try. I kept it a secret from my husband until after he had tried it. 

This week's meal was found on the blog Gimme Some Oven a blog full of tons and tons of recipes!



I'm not going to lie, I stole this picture from the blog. 
I rate this recipe at most 1.5 stars...

Reasons: My chili didn't look very appealing.
It took longer for me to cook it so that the beans weren't all hard and crunchy. 
It was bland, it was spicy but it didn't have much flavor. 
I have had a much better tasting black bean chili
It wasn't gross but it wasn't good

Notes: The chocolate and coconut barely affect the taste so don't worry!
Make sure to test the beans, to make sure you cook them long enough. 
About 6-8 servings. 

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 TBS olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup good-quality chili powder
  • 1 Tbs cumin
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1-3 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo, to taste
  • toppings: chocolate chips and additional toasted coconut flakes

If you dare to try this, let me know what you think. Perhaps give me some tips to make it taste better :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment