What's Cooking

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Turkey Fennel Meat Sauce

February Week 3 - Try Cooking With Fennel
At first I thought this week was going to be easy, then as I searched recipes Google came up with some really weird looking recipes. I LOVE to try new foods, but these just looked CraZy! I choose a meatball recipe at first but oh man: Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo That Recipe! I was blessed to come across an amazing pasta sauce found on the blog: Cookin' Skinny and as the name implies she has a ton of amazing looking recipes that are healthy to boot! I will definitely be checking out her blog for more recipe ideas!

Now onto what you have been waiting for...drum roll please!


 
I rate this recipe 4 out of 5 stars!! 
Yes, you read that right. This recipe was awesome!

Reasons: My husband and son loved it so much they had seconds! My husband hates...okay strongly dislikes normal boring ol' red pasta sauce and my son hates pasta recipes in general...so them liking this recipe is a HUGE deal!
The spices were a perfect blend of amazingness! 
And it was super duper easy! I love simple recipes, they are perfect for my schedule!

Notes: She lets her simmer in a dutch oven, I don't have one of those so I just let it simmer in a pan on my stove top and it turned out great! 
Although SUPER simple to prepare, I would start preparing a head of time to let it simmer, the ground turkey tastes so much better if you let it simmer!
This made great leftovers! 
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 1.5 Hours

Ingredients: 
  •  1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp fennel seed
  • 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/4 red wine
  • 1 1/2 cups roasted garlic marinara
  • 1 bay leaf
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade


No comments:

Post a Comment